Saturday, May 9, 2009

Getting Started in Child Pageants



Hi, I'm Lindsey and I am a pageant mom in the making. I confess it, and - bit by bit - I'm becoming proud of it. To explain, I guess I must start from the beginning...

I am the mother of five beautiful children - four girls and one boy. When my girls started middle school, I was introduced to something titled the Beauty and Beau Review. Translation...pageant. Well, I'm all for supporting school fundraisers, but I had always said my girls were not pageant girls. I mean what is the point of standing on stage and just looking beautiful. Shouldn't there be talent... interview... some other reason to show their significance than looks, and how will they take it if they lose? Will it destroy their self-esteem forever?
Well, the cries of "Please, Mom, please!", and, "Everyone else gets to do it," finally won and we paid $30 times three girls to enter our first pageant.

Just so you know, entering a child pageant is never just as simple as the entry fee. There are dresses to find and buy (more about that later). Hair and make-up to do, and walking with turns to practice.

Well needless to say, our first adventure into the pageant world did not result in any crowns. However, in the year and a half since then, we have added five crowns and numerous banners to our collection. Most importantly, we are attending our first World level scholarship pageant in Orlando, FL this July.

This blog will chronicle our adventures as we ready for and attend our first World pageant. I will share the techniques that work, and what you should forget about, and hopefully in the end my precious little girl will come home with a crown, but even if she doesn't, she will come home with new friends, more experience and a bigger personality.

'Til next time.
Lindsey


No comments:

Post a Comment